Galaxy S9 details leaked

The Samsung Galaxy S9 is one of the most hotly anticipated handsets right now, especially now the iPhone X has been released. However, not much is known about it at this stage, with the Korean tech giant playing its cards fairly close to its chest.

While the company is aiming to keep most details of the S9 and S9+ under wraps, some sources have been able to uncover leaks and rumours that have shone a light on what we can expect when the flagship smartphone eventually comes out. Here’s what we think we know so far:

They might be revealed in January

First of all, the latest rumour surrounding when we’ll get our first official look at the Galaxy S9 and S9+ handsets is that they will be unveiled at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. This is scheduled to take place in January, so it could only be a few weeks until we see the new smartphones.

This information comes courtesy of VentureBeat, which alleges to have been told this by “someone briefed on the company’s plans”. This anonymous source also revealed that the two handsets will not be all that much different from the S8 and S8+, being an improved design rather than a complete overhaul.

This would be the same tactic Samsung used for the release of the S6 and S7, which again were fairly similar to one another. The idea would be to release a major new model for each even number (S6, S8 etc) and improve it on the odd numbers, which is a a strategy Apple also utilises.

They will have a dual rear-camera setup

Our next piece of information comes from BGR, which has obtained some renders of the Galaxy S9 from smartphone accessory manufacturer Ghostek. These are apparently based on information leaked from a factory that is building the handsets, with several other contacts verifying their accuracy to BGR.

The renders show a smartphone with a dual-camera setup on the rear of the phone. The two cameras are organised vertically, with a fingerprint sensor underneath them. The whole cluster of tech is located in the centre of the phone, rather than being set off-centre like the fingerprint sensor on the Galaxy S8 and Note 8.

This would be a welcome change to many Samsung fans, as the off-centre sensor was not particularly well-received. Samsung’s cameras on the Note 8 were aligned horizontally, so a change to the design has also been made there if BGR’s sources are to be believed.

They’ll have significantly smaller bezels

The renders also show the front of the phone, with relatively small bezels allowing for a large screen. However, SAM Mobile has stated that – according to its sources – these renders are inaccurate. In fact, the S9 and S9+ could have screen-to-body ratios of as much as 90 per cent.

For the uninitiated, this ratio refers to how much of the front of the phone is taken up by the screen. On the Galaxy S8, the bezels took up 16 per cent of the phone, with the screen occupying the remaining 84 per cent. SAM Mobile’s source suggests that the S9’s screen could be up to six per cent larger in comparison.

This would require smaller bezels, and SAM Mobile believes the bottom one will be almost nonexistent on the S9. The top bezel will also be thinner than the bottom bezel on the S8. It is unlikely that Samsung will be able to do anything at all with the side bezels, as these are already tiny on the S8 due to the phone’s curved display.ADNFCR-2155-ID-801842588-ADNFCR

Written by Mazuma

Mazuma Mobile is the UK's most trusted mobile phone recycling service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.