At Mazuma Mobile, we deal with thousands of discarded and unloved handsets on a daily basis. Some people send in old, shabby, half broken phones while others send in newer, flashier models that are still not quite up to date with the very latest in handheld technology. Just from the huge variations in the models left to phone recycling, it is evident just how vast the industry is. So here’s for some interesting facts, by numbers of course:
- 1985 was the year that the first proper mobile phone went on sale – a far cry from the snazzy models we see today.
- 60 is the average percentage of radiation that our heads absorb through mobile phone usage.
- 1947 is the year that ‘hexagonal cells’ were invented, the scientific phenomenon that has allowed the creation of mobile phone technology.
- £13 billion is the estimated worth of the mobile phone industry.
- 18 is the number of months us Brits hold onto the same phone model for.
- £35 million was the figure that Mazuma Mobile have been estimated to pay during the phones for cash scheme in a recent study.
- 1994 was the year that the first text messages were sent.
- 3210 was the Nokia phone model that first allowed changeable covers.
- 4.5 billion is the estimated number of handsets in use across the world.
Many people often under estimate the extent of the mobile industry; however it has been one of the biggest inventions of recent years and is a technology that will only keep on evolving.